Here are the answers to some of the most Frequently Asked Questions our firm receives.

Q. How quickly can I receive my tax refund?
A. Within 24 hour, if you use our refund anticipation loan (RAL) service. RAL fees are from $34 ($500 refund or less) to $89 ($2,001 refund or more).We can also file your tax return electronically and have your refund deposited directly into your bank account within approximately 10 days, at no additional charge.

Q. How much do you charge?
A. My fee is based on the number of forms and schedules needed and the amount of time involved in the preparation of your return. If you call me, I can get a feel for how complicated your work is and provide you with an estimated fee. My fees are less than typical CPA firms and may be more than the "fast food" chain of commercial tax preparers. I believe we offer the best professional value in town.

Q. What if I have a tax question during the tax year?
A. As a regular tax preparation client you may contact me as often as necessary during the year for tax planning advice. There is no charge for brief telephone, fax or email questions or advice. For more detailed consultations, which require specific research, worksheets or written opinions I will, at my discretion, charge at an hourly rate of $75.00.

Q. What do I do if I haven't received my refund?
A. The Internal Revenue Service has a toll free number to handle your refund inquiries. It is 1-800-829-4477. Please have your social security number, your filing status, and the whole dollar amount of your refund handy. Also, please allow from 4 to 6 weeks before calling. STATE REFUND = call me for phone numbers

Q. I cannot pay my tax bill this year? What can I do?
A. The Internal Revenue Service provides for individuals, who cannot pay their bill in full, to pay in installments, for up to five years, we will file the necessary request forms for those of you who need this procedure.

Q. How long do I keep my tax records?
A. The Internal Revenue Service suggests 3 years from the due date of your last return. However, we suggest that you discard receipts, bills and credit card statements after 3 years. However, your tax returns, W-2s, 1099s from banks and mutual funds or brokerage firms or any contract for an asset you still own should be made a part of a permanent file.

Q. What if I get a letter from the IRS?
A. If you receive a letter relating to a federal or state tax return I have prepared, send it directly to me immediately and I will respond accordingly. I do not charge for responding to tax notices when the return was correct as originally filed, or if I made an error. If I have to prepare additional forms or schedules or an amended return, I may have to charge an additional fee.

Q. What if I am audited?
A. If you are audited by a Federal or State taxing authority, I will most likely charge an additional fee. This is the most critical tax situation you can have and I would never suggest using somebody who offers free advice in this situation. Since I started my practice, I have never had a poor experience with any agency. I have either avoided the audit completely, had a no change audit or ended up with a refund.

Q. What do you need to prepare my tax return?
A. I will gladly send you, via email, fax or postal mail, a list of the specific information I will need to properly prepare your tax return. Email your request to paulmetz@tax-cpa.com.

Q. How can you save me money?
A. We have 14 years of experience to draw from in tax planning and business advice. We explain various tax-saving ideas in plain language and let you choose which ideas you would like to implement to save you money. Most of our clients save much more than the cost of preparing their tax returns.

Q. Do you prepare estate tax returns?
A. Yes, we do prepare estate and trust tax returns. Do to the extensive tax planning involved, our minimum estate tax return fee is $1,000 and can be substantially more. With proper planning, almost all estate taxes can be avoided.